Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Recipe Tuesday!

Between my ever increasing number of cookbooks...

  • TIP: visit your local used bookstore and spend some time browsing the cooking shelves. You'll find that people throw away amazing cookbooks as frequently as they throw away tissues. I've managed to acquire 20+ cookbooks over the years, most of them hardcover, and all for under $5. Retail prices would have left me spending anywhere from $200-$400. Ridiculous!

...I digress. Between my collection of cookbooks, magazines and family recipes I have more delicious food options than time to cook. So I decided that Tuesday is Recipe Day here at Queering Domesticity and I'm going to share a delightful recipe, be it family or otherwise, with you all here. When I'm inspired, I may post a picture too. This week, I borrowed one.

Many moms make snickerdoodles. Many gourmet bakeries do too. Many coffee shops keep them in their bakery case. And many people think that they can go home, roll a butter cookie in cinnamon sugar and...VOILA!...snickerdoodles! No such luck, my friends. Snickerdoodles require the cream of tartar to give them their distinct snickerdoodley flavor.



Snickerdoodles (courtesy of Mom)
-------------------------------------
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 ½ cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 ¾ cups sifted flour
  • 2 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • Cinnamon mixture: 1 teaspoon cinnamon to 1 tablespoon sugar
  1. Cream butter and sugar, add eggs, add dry ingredients. Chill. Form into balls, roll in cinnamon mixture.
  2. Bake 8-10 minutes @ 400°.
  3. They’ll puff when baking, flatten when cool.
Go forth and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Dear Ms. (Mrs.?) Gay Housewife-

    Do you have a recommended used book store for us DC types to score fabulous used cookbook finds?

    Signed,
    Thrifty and Curious

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, Sassy Nicole, that I haven't yet found a fantastic in-the-city used book store for my fellow DC dwellers. I was a suburban girl for most of my life and my favorite place to find used books is/was at McKay's Used Bookstore in Centreville, VA. Unfortunately, McKay's dropped their Centreville location and moved their stock out to their Manassas store, which would be quite a hike.

    Manaport Plaza
    8389 Sudley Road
    Manassas, VA 20109
    (703) 361-9042

    I'll keep you, dearest most loyal reader, abreast of any used book discoveries over the coming weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just added the Best Bites Blog (http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/bestbites/index.html )to my list of things to read (yes, yet another blog... I am up to 56 in my reader!!) and came across this tip (http://www.washingtonian.com/blogarticles/2419.html) that I thought I would share with you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails