Monday, August 13, 2007

Blog Rolling...like a jelly roll, but better!

Remember when you were a kid, and you'd tuck your arms in and cross your legs at the ankles and roll down a soft, grassy hill? Most kids do, anyway.

I did that all the time, as my front yard had a decent slope and my parents paid landscapers to make our grass fluffy and soft. It was the craziest feeling, spinning and rolling until you stopped. It made me giggle and I never seemed to be able to get enough of it.

So when I named my frequent blog zombie time Blog Rolls (other folks seem to call them blog rolls too...for some reason I've added an "experience" to the action), I was inspired by that same giggle and glee of childhood. Typically I'll start with something like LiveJournal and skip from blog to blog, website to website, clicking on things until I have a ridiculous addition to my bookmark list. Recently, through the help of a coworker, I discovered Google Reader. Of course that fantastic piece of web-based organization will only feed my feed addiction!

I wish I could say that the majority of my Blog Rolling was done on blogs with some sort of social justice bent, but they are not. I tend to start with crafts or interior design, and spin off into green living, cooking and minor home construction. I found a lot of cool things yesterday, so I'm going to post my What I'm Reading Now list here (for posterity) and also some links to amazingly cool stuff I've found on the internets.

-------------------------
BLOGS, etc.
-------------------------
  • I was linked to this a long time ago, but I finally added the blog feed to my Reader. Not Martha is a bevy of craft, DIY and interior design linkage and ideas.
  • I found this yesterday. This woman is like the consummate housewife, crafter, mom. I love her aesthetic and am totally jealous of her craft room. Check out Simple Sparrow.
  • I have a secret crush (ok, secret's out!) on Matt Armendariz of MattBites. He also has a Flickr Feed with his AMAZING people and food photography and his photography site, which has lots of goodies as well. He's also the sweetest guy ever (we've been exchanging e-mails, natch).
  • Instructables is THE site for anyone looking to build stuff themselves. It's crafty, it's DIY, and it's really flippin' sweet.
  • I must admit my blog-crush on Amber at MyAimIsTrue. She also has a lot of cool things available at her Etsy shop: Right here.
  • CONSUME, whose mission is to show you stuff to buy that doesn't suck, is a great jumping off point for, well, stuff to buy that doesn't suck. My favorite recent post provided a link to BLT Scented Votive Candles. I mean really...what WILL they think of next?
-------------------------
STUFF, etc.
-------------------------
  • The LEGO brick cake pan...because, if nothing else, it'll make my partner happy!
  • Squirrel postcards to feed my postcard-y obsession EVEN MORE.
  • The Wilton Giant Cupcake Pan is on the wishlist of a very good friend of mine and myself. WHO WOULDN'T WANT TO MAKE A GIANT CUPCAKEASAURUS!??!!?
  • Sassy and completely boogie Wine Bottle Bags. Not that I gift a lot of wine...but I would if i had these bags, duh!
  • If you're anything like me, you know how exciting office supplies can be. Animal rubberbands because...well...WHY NOT!??!
  • Greener Grass Design has managed to cultivate some pretty sweet jewelry. I aspire to be that cool. Similarly, Re-Modern has managed to amass a collection of bags and wallets that inspire and amaze!
  • I think I'm going to get one of these for my brother when he gets his own apartment...Recycled Rubber Doormat. I know how much he loves the filth and stank of NYC streets, it's only reasonable to suppose he'll love that image at his feet while he's unlocking the door to his clean apartment.
  • If I had a front step that warranted the acquisition of a doormat, I'd pick this one...without a moment's hesitation.
  • Yee-Haw industries creates awesome original letterpress designs and they have ridiculously cute Farmer's Market cards in their shop along with thousands of ridiculously cool signs, poster and apparel.
  • My partner and I saw these Drip Clips in a local boutique and exclaimed that I wanted them. I still do. Maybe. We'll see.
  • I know we're living in a material world (hence this post, duh) but I'm not quite a Monroe-esque kind of ma-ma-material girl. But if I were, I wouldn't sip a cold beverage without these Cool Jewel Ice Cubes.
And finally, a few things I've been eyeing Etsy:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails