Thursday, November 8, 2007

It's the most wonderful time of the year?

I have to admit that, for all intents and purposes, my day job isn't the funnest (I say this with all seriousness, Spelling Police). Being blessed with an ever-bubbling pot of creativity inside helps pass the days that move along at a slow, boring drag. With Thanksgiving in two weeks and stores already filling up with Christmas goodies, it's really hard for me to ignore my undying love for the Holiday Season anymore. Having worked retail for close to 10 years, especially during Christmas rushes, Black Friday and the days after the Baby Jesus' birthday where OMG-I-love-a-great-deal-nasty-shoppers come out to play, you'd think I would hate this time of year with a passion that burns like the fire of a thousands suns.

But, I don't.

In fact, I've been listening to Christmas music for a few weeks now. I realized it makes my job more palatable (and I work faster). I've also been scoping out potential holiday gifts, trying my hardest to stick to the commitment I've made that I will only buy HANDMADE! And also preparing myself for what will surely be a fun and festive season.

All of this because I love Christmas. Ridiculously so.

Over the years I've come to see this season as an opportunity for renewal. I've had some really tumultuous ups and downs with family and friends, and this season dictates (for most folks) that you keep your happy face on whenever possible. There's the expectation that you'll be with friends and family, and therefore you'll be nice. It's given me the chance to mend old wounds, repair broken connections, and to say I'm sorry when I've failed to do it before. I look forward to this time of year because it makes me feel good about myself, and it makes me feel good about my life, and mostly it gives me the opportunity to make the people I love feel good too. Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, I think that there should be a time every year where you reflect on relationships and the energy that you're sharing with the world. And I believe that you should take the time to repair and mend as necessary, especially within yourself, and to tap into that childlike glee that we all have nestled inside.

So if November and December aren't your favorite, find some time SOMETIME to do right by yourself, by your family and friends. And please pardon me, because I will be twirling around in my fictional winter snow (well, it's been cold here lately, so it might not be so fictional), listening to Eartha Kitt meow her way through Santa Baby, and showering my loved ones with cheer and gifts. It's what I do, and you're welcome to join in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails