Sunday, January 27, 2008

Back on the horse.

I suffered what can only be classified as a "crafty depression" through most of December. I let my enjoyment of my jewelry designing and knitting to be defined by the number of sales I made, in shows or on Etsy. Sadly, when you're banking on a hot holiday season and you literally sell one thing between December 3rd and the Baby Jesus' birthday, you really don't feel fantastic.

To assuage my pain, I gave lots of jewelry as gifts. Every piece was received with glee and joy, so this reaffirms the fact that I'm making cool stuff. I often struggle with my prices, because I really price things in such a way that makes them affordable. I tend to never cut quality, simply because I remember all those times when I'd purchase a ring or pair of earrings at a department store, only to have them degrade or tarnish within weeks. I want people to be able to care for their jewelry, and to have it last, as much as I want to find great prices on supplies and keep things affordable.

So basically, folks, I'm not sacrificing my integrity as a maker of attainable things just so a bunch of people who don't know me can pass judgment on the quality of my merchandise. I use sterling silver, I scope out amazing vintage beads, I make everything else by hand and I invest in really great merchandising materials to complete the whole package. You can trust that whatever I make will last, if you care for it, for a while. And if it doesn't, then please send it back. I'll give you your money back anytime.

On to Act II. I invested, with Christmas money, in some new supplies to start the year off right. I had trouble getting my creative brain in gear for jewelry making and was hoping to use Crafts & Kisses as the motivation to get going on things. I had to bail out of the show, as stated before, but nevertheless I told myself I'd have to create somethings before this weekend ended. And I did!

These are just a small sampling of the new things I'll be adding to my Etsy shop in the next few days. They're simple, not quite as long as my older things, and I've incorporated oxidized sterling silver into some of the designs. I've also been working hard on getting a decent collection of designs for the Sugar High line to be sold at Rock Candy Baltimore soon! The earrings are inspired by everything from lollipops to SweetTarts! So sweet.

I'm also trying to knit as much as possible, so perhaps, in the weeks to come, there will be a small sampling of knit goods available in my shop as well. Regardless of what I put up in my shop or sell in Baltimore, the fact that I continue to create and continue to feel inspired is, by far, the best feeling in the world. It makes me happy, and I've finally arrived at a place where I feel 100% pleased with me and my work.

----
Ok listen, I'm not trying to say don't buy, you know. Just don't worry about my self esteem getting all wonky. By all means, shop. It helps me afford new stuff, duh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails