Sunday, March 23, 2008

Drawing on my fine command of the language, I said nothing.

This week has been, in many ways, a test of spirit. There have been numerous challenges to face that I've been able to avoid over the last year. I consider this due to, in no small part, my reemergence into things social. I've started giving my time to events, people and things with which I have not been acquainted in some time. And that's GOOD because I love being social. In many ways, being part of a greater community feeds and satisfies a very specific part of my nature. But also, as with most things (and as with most things GAY), there is a certain amount of frustration with being more social. To insulate oneself is to effectively shield oneself from the baggage, stress and drama rampant in the queer community. It's very easy to pretend like you aren't a cause or culprit, but I think that over the years I've made it clear to myself and the queer world that I am both a part of and avoidant of things like drama and baggage. We're all stopping, starting and greasing the gears of this big machine. I am honest about my part in it all.

Rather than hashing out specific situations or events that have occurred this week with which I have had beef, I'm going to list a few attributes that have presented themselves instead...out of happenstance or necessity, and a quote to complement them. I hope this will help bring some clarity to my exposure to the Big Bad Queer World in the coming weeks and months, and also drive home some really important things for everyone to remember when communicating with people who have little interest in your baggage or your agenda.

Graciousness - “To bear defeat with dignity, to accept criticism with poise, to receive honors with humility -- these are marks of maturity and graciousness.” - William Arthur Ward

Integrity - "Integrity is not a 90 percent thing, not a 95 percent thing; either you have it or you don't." Peter Scotese
I would like to add that in my experience, the people striving to place emphasis or value on their level of integrity are often the people most lacking the virtue.

Perception – “We don't see things as they are. We see them as we are.” - Anais Nin

Assumption - “Every issue, belief, attitude or assumption is precisely the issue that stands between you and your relationship to another human being; and between you and yourself.” – Unknown

Pride - “Temper gets you into trouble. Pride keeps you there.” – Unknown

Faith - "Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Honesty/Truth - "If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything." - Mark Twain

I was a Girl Scout for eight years. And I have a mother who reminds me with fervent regularity about the Golden Rule. Treat others in the manner that you would want to be treated...always. Waiver from this and you'll find yourself grasping for steadiness in a world gone terribly unsteady.

Oh, and Happy Easter.

1 comment:

  1. Since you are being more social, let me know if you want to grab a drink or a coffee some time!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails