Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Beef! It's what's for dinner.

I know I'm like four months late, and that beef stew (or any stew/chili, for that matter) is not really what folks are craving now that the daffodils are blooming and the birdies are chirping and my allergies are starting to kick in. But even though you'd just as soon grill a hunk of beef over eating small tender nuggets of beef in a delectable, rich broth...I beg of you. Just make this.

My Mom passed this recipe on to me, and she originally acquired it from my Aunt. It's rich, hearty and incredibly easy. You literally throw all of the ingredients into a pot, stick it in the oven, and stir it when you get up for every other beer.

Serve it with some thick hearty slices of bread, wrap scarves around your friends' necks, and turn the AC on full blast. I would even go so far as to put a Christmas-y movie on the TV, but I am fully aware my obsession runs much deeper than most any humans out there...including God ("Not Jesus' birthday again. Didn't I just fight the lines at the Mall for him a few weeks ago? I'll just order a gift card online.").

Seriously, people, this stew does not disappoint. So here it goes:

Oven Beef Stew - (you can substitute chicken also)

2.5 lbs stew beef or sirloin
28 oz canned chopped tomatoes
1 cup celery
4 carrots
4 potatoes
3 onions
1/2 cup red wine (or, as it goes in my family, a coupla good sloshes into the pot)

3-4 tablespoons tapioca
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
pepper
1/8 teaspoon thyme ­ rosemary ­ marjoram

Bake @ 250ยบ for 5 hours

Stir after 2 hours...or like I said, around every other slowly consumed beer.

*NOTE* - My mother has also cooked this in her crockpot and it was delectable. Just thought you should know.

1 comment:

  1. *drool*
    I believe you gifted me with this recipe before and I forgot about it until now. (un)fortunately we probably have at least one more snowy day left in Pittsburgh, so I'll keep this one in mind.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails