Thursday, April 3, 2008

Flashback: Jesus School!

My friend Bee Listy's partner K posted this recipe recently over at LiveJournal. I had this vivid flashback to my Catholic School days and felt like it was essential for me to share the deliciousness with my readership. Consider this crescentvangelizing.

RESURRECTION ROLLS
(In the actual book, it’s got a star by it that means “fun for kids!”)

1 package crescent rolls, 8 count
Melted butter
Large marshmallows
Cinnamon
Sugar

Give each child a triangle of crescent rolls. The crescent roll represents the cloth that Jesus was wrapped in after He died and was taken from the cross.

Give each child a marshmallow. This represents Jesus and His purity.

Have each child dip the marshmallow in melted butter. This represents the oils of embalming.

Dip the buttered marshmallow in cinnamon and sugar. This represents the spices used to anoint the body of Jesus.

Bringing together all edges of the triangle, wrap the coated marshmallow tightly inside the dough. This represents the wrapping of Jesus’ body after death.

Place rolls on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. The oven represents the tomb. You can even let the children tape the door shut. Pretend like the 10-minute baking time is 3 days and nights, the time Jesus was in the tomb.

Once rolls are out of the oven and slightly cool, the children can open their rolls (cloths) and discover that Jesus is no longer there: He is Risen! The marshmallow melts and the crescent roll is puffed up, but like the tomb, it is empty.

I know Easter is passed and all that, but I think that God would appreciate you making Resurrection Rolls any ol' day, really.

God bless.

2 comments:

  1. In all my years of Catholic School, not once have I seen these.

    And well, now that I have, I'm cracking up.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, wow. That just seems so... wrong.

    Should we make a bunch when the Pope visits and see if we can sell them to the adoring masses at the Shrine??

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails