Thursday, August 7, 2008

Will I be seeing you tomorrow? Pretty please with a lentil on top?


Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh!" he whispered. "Yes, Piglet?" "Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. "I just wanted to be sure of you." ~A.A. Milne

Have you ever been sitting quietly out in nature (at the beach, in the woods, etc) and felt a breeze go by that was absolutely perfect? Slightly cool, brisk but not blustery, and it tossled your hair in a way that tickled your scalp and maybe even gave you a shiver? Two years and four months ago, I had one of those breezes. I caught it, wrestled it into a jar and have tended it ever since. This soft, perfect breeze is my best friend, Angela.

There's a lot of sap and nonsense around cultivating friendships and maintaining them. Ridiculous ceramic plaques boasting the Footprints poems, broken hearts on chains to wear until they tarnish, roadtrips and slumber parties. There are so many cliches about friendship, and I fought for them for years. I wanted that earthquake of emotion to ride into my life. I wanted someone without whom I could not live, because I would not be understood. And I'm ridiculously lucky and grateful to have found her.

9.5.06 Okay, please tell me you don't have plans on Saturday afternoon, because I'm having withdrawal pains. We must hang out. I got all misty-eyed at the opening chords of "Ridin'" yesterday. The situation has become critical!

I think that one of the most fantastic joys about my friendship with Angela is laughing. As simple as it may sound, the foundation of our friendship is held together with hilarity. We can laugh, chuckle and howl to the point of quaking bodies and tears. We know just what to say in order to crack the other up, and we are able to do it at the most perfect and imperfect moments. This is my most cherished facet of our friendship.

Angela also understands me more than anyone else ever has, in her very special way. She calms me when I'm rustled, energizes me when I'm down, quiets me when I'm over-excited and supports me when I feel like my hammock in life gave way beneath me. Very few people are blessed with such an amazing gift.

So on this day of her birth, I want to tell the world how fantastic my best friend is, and let her know how full and happy my heart is to have her on my side. She is my sister, my confidant, my wife and my sidekick. Without her, I would be empty. With her, I overflow. I love you, Bucko.

"In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit." ~Albert Schweitzer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails