Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Blog Action Day 2008

I opened up my blog feed reader this morning and read a post by one of my favorite bloggers, Craft & Found. Apparently, today is Blog Action Day 2008 and this year's theme is Poverty. I haven't really participated in the circular culture of blogs, so I'm not always on the up about events like this. But when I read about this, and thought about what I've experienced living in and around Washington DC my ENTIRE life, I cannot not participate.

There are a host of statistics available online about poverty. All of them are absolutely terrifying. And in my opinion, an appropriate reaction to poverty is never bootstraps. In the past, as a member of the Girl Scouts Council of the Nation's Capital for over eight years, I've found tremendous joy in "Adopting a Family". By adopting a local family, you are charged with providing them with holiday/Christmas gifts and household necessities. You essentially make their Christmas.

I think I've made it abundantly clear that I am a Christmas addict, and while giving a family presents doesn't necessarily eradicate poverty, it does bring joy and happiness to people who face sadness and despair. This year I'm going to donate through the YWCA for the Washington DC area. I would love your help.

Here is information about the program for which I'm going to volunteer. I don't have information about the family at this point in time, but I hope to soon. I will keep you updated. As an alternative to providing gifts directly, I can also accept your financial support. Those are details to work out later. I'll go out and buy whatever you recommend, or if you leave it up to my discretion, I'll make sure to take a picture for you!

When I took the Metro from home to work last year and saw homeless people and families cuddled together under a damp bridge, and when I speak with the homeless folks along 8th Street SE, and imagine the devastation and impact that the financial crisis in this country will have on families and children, I would be selfish not to help.

What can you do? At the least, blog about it.

2 comments:

  1. yay!!! love that you've gotten into the spirit of the day and are going to make a difference with your words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's our girl. Such a wonderful thing to do. You have our support.

    M&D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails