Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Recipe Tuesday: Aunt Tootie's Carrot Cake

This is a pretty traditional carrot cake recipe, provided by my Great Aunt Tootie. She is one of the most energetic older ladies I've ever known. I remember my Mom making this now and then when I was a kid. It was divinely moist and the icing was just creamy enough to mask the sweetness that powdered sugar can create. This is the perfect cake for a decorative cake stand...I've been eyeing the Laurie Cake Pedestal from Crate & Barrel, specifically. Dress it up with a few autumnal embellishments, and this is a great cake to bring to a Thanksgiving celebration, or as a welcome gift to a new neighbor.

Carrot Cake
1 ½ c. oil
2 c. sugar
4 eggs
3 c. grated carrots
2 c. flour
1 15 oz. can of crushed pineapple
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. nuts (pecans are best)
1 c. raisins

Icing
8 oz. cream cheese
1 stick butter
2 tsp vanilla
1 box confectioners sugar

Drain pineapple; use finely grated carrots if possible. Mix all ingredients. Bake at 325 degrees.

9” tube pan = 1 hour; 9x13” pan = 45 minutes

3 comments:

  1. About how many carrots translate to 3 cups? I have three carrots and half a block of cream cheese I need to use up, so I'm thinking of halving this recipe and making a small cake or cupcakes. Of course, then I'll be stuck with half a can of pineapple I'll have to find a use for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I remember it's about 3-4 medium/large carrots. You should be just fine with what you have.

    You could always make some mini pineapple upside down cupcakes? :-) Or dump some on top ice cream and sprinkle with coconut. Do you like pina coladas?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks so yummy. do you ever wonder how people find you? I like grass too. so that is how. i am going to make this recipe this week. thanks for sharing, happy blogging.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails