Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Recipe Tuesday - Pumpkin Bread

ETA: I totally missed important parts of this recipe; I've edited it. D'oh.

Em made this pumpkin bread for me when we first started dating. Well, actually. The pumpkin bread was made and I was fortunate enough to have a slice. I didn't really appreciate the fantasticness of this bread until I found out that I had a dairy allergy. It's dairy free! Stick to the recipe, including the vital "make a well" step, and you'll have two loaves of spectacularly delicious pumpkin bread. If you have local apple orchards within a reasonable distance, I highly recommend you pick up some apple or pumpkin butter and spread it on top. DIVINE.

Pumpkin Bread (Em's Mom)

4 cups flour
3 cups sugar
2 tsp baking soda
1½ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
½ tsp ground cloves

Mix together dry ingredients and make a well in the center. Add 1 cup Wesson oil, 1 can (14 ½ oz) pumpkin and 2/3 cup cold water. This seems like a silly step, but it's very important for some reason. Make that well!

Blend this well with beater.

Add 4 eggs – 1 at a time – beating well after each addition.

Pour batter into 5 small or 2 regular size loaf pans (greased & floured).

Bake @ 350° (small – 1 hour; Large – 1¼ hours).

(We've made it with Splenda before, and I will warn you that it is not delicious. The bread doesn't rise and it has a funky aftertaste.)

1 comment:

  1. i got all excited b/c it seems to have no eggs either but then i saw the 'make a well' thing and my hopes were dashed...

    splenda. dude. don't. ever.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails