Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Where in the world is Meaghan Sandiego!?

OMG guys. Where have I been? Do you feel neglected? Need anything? Can I refresh your drinks?

I don't know if you use Google Reader as a blog feed aggregator, but they have this nifty feature wherein you can look at details for blogs that you subscribe to, and it'll tell you how many subscribers have connected with that blog. Well, despite my hopes and dreams for guns-blazing infamy, I only have 15 subscribers. But also...I HAVE 15 SUBSCRIBERS! Hi guys!

Moving on. I've missed TWO, count 'em 2, Recipe Tuesdays. And probably a ton of other stuff. So I'm going to give you two "recipes" right now and then get some gears cranking and fire off some other fancy stuff to keep all 15 (+ ?) of you entertained. I am nothing if not a good hostess.

Recipe Number One


We begin with a recipe...of sorts. See, I found out through one of the food blogs that I subscribe to via Google Reader that there is this new fandangled site called Food Gawker. Being the gawking fan that I am (I admit here, fully, that I have a staring problem...specifically when it comes to peoples' butts...but I digress), I thought it would be ideal...FOOD + GAWKING = nom nom nom. Well, this site rocks my socks off. Food Gawker is basically a recipe aggregator...they've set up some sort of web scraping algorithm or something that searches for beautiful photographs of food AND recipes, together, and then posts the picture with a brief explanation on their site. From there you can click directly to the blog that posted the picture/recipe. It's that simple! There's a wide range of recipes, too. Everything from Potstickers to "Do you know what the heck this is and what I do with it?". They are also being bombarded with a slew of holiday cookie recipes, which is AWESOME. These are recipes from high-fallutin' chefs or homemade cook-bloggers who fiddle with old recipes and post them for their friends. So like I said, while not a recipe this website provides access to more recipes than you could possibly need.

Recipe Number Deux

This is a Food TV recipe that I "modified". Essentially, I modified it by neglecting to apply the icing. I'm not a big fan of frosting/icing so it just seemed superfluous to me. These cookies are delicious, fluffy and almost cake-like on their own. The spice combination is reminiscent of a pumpkin pie, without the gooey sweetness. They're a great tea cookie, or a light dessert after a heavy meal. I would, and do, make these year round because I love pumpking and cinnamon so much. But they're a great addition to a holiday cookie tin. I've included the icing ingredients in case you want to make it. You can also garnish an iced or un-iced cookie with a pecan or some cinnamon/cinnamon-sugar.

Oh, and trust me, while I could care less about the intricate growlings of a man's stomach, I can assure you that no man can resist these. I have no idea why. I heard once, though, that men are incredibly attracted to the smell of cinnamon. OMG. Since when did this because Cosmo? Enough of that. Make the cookies.



Pumpkin Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting (foodtv.com)


For the cookies:
1 c. sugar
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 tbls. Maple syrup (if you’d like)
2 eggs
1 c. canned pumpkin
1½ tsp. ground cinnamon
½ tsp. ground all spice
¼ tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
Pinch of ground cloves
2½ c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
Pinch of salt (not necessary if you use salted butter)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream the sugar and the butter until light and fluffy. Add the maple syrup and eggs. Mix to incorporate. Add the pumpkin and mix to incorporate. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, spices. Add the dry ingredients to the batter and mix well. Drop rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly golden brown around the edges. Cool on racks. OPTIONAL: When cool, ice with cream cheese frosting.

For the frosting: (the cookies are great without, but if you wanna)
2 (8oz) packages cream cheese
1 c. confectioner’s sugar
¼ c. milk
1 tbls. vanilla extract
zest of one lemon

Frosting: Beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy in a mixer. Beat in the powdered sugar until smooth. Add milk and vanilla, beat until smooth. If frosting is too thick, thin with a little more milk. Fold in the lemon zest. Spread!

For garnish: whole pecans or a sprinkle of cinnamon.

Recipe courtesy Food Network/FoodTV.com

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally reading you on Google Reader - RIGHT NOOOOOW!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails