Saturday, January 3, 2009

Beginning/Ending

It goes without saying that I've been missing in action. The Sunday before Christmas, after weeks of ridiculously manic preparation, I participated in my only big craft show of the year and did fabulously well. Then I manically prepared my apartment for my brother's Christmas arrival, manically went through the motions of celebrating a very blessed Christmas, drove speedily down to Georgia with Em and spent a week enjoying my new-ish extended family through good times, a hockey game and an unexpected hardship (a family member had to be whisked away to the hospital).

New Year's Eve was spent at home, knitting. I feared that, because of the unexpected event, I would be spending NYE alone, on my "mother-in-law"'s sofa, knitting and watching Pride & Prejudice with Tavi the farting dog. But Em managed to come home in time and we used our plates filled with comfort food to "cheers" in the New Year while watching the ball drop on NBC. All in all, the past three or so weeks have been fun but hectic. I'll use this meme to reintroduce myself to blogging this year. Contained within will perhaps be some points of inspiration for me and my plans for the year. I hope you all had a blast with yourself and those you love. Here's to a new year with a whole bunch of fabulousness and laughter.

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
I learned to accept a lot of things about myself that I'd been railing against for years, including how similar I am to my mother, how I really am a commendable perfectionist, and how I really cannot stand when people don't know how to communicate like civilized human beings. I also helped plan a music and arts festival and helped start a crafting collective.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I stopped making new year's resolutions a few years ago, so I didn't really fail at anything of consequence this year. Giving myself the space to make goals as necessary really alleviates a ton of angst and stress for me.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A queer lady friend of mine had her baby in January and my other lady friend is about to essplode with her first bundle of joy.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
My Great Uncle Sy, the last remaining man who looked anything like my dear Pop Pop, passed away.

5. What countries did you visit?
I stayed in the states, much to my recurrent chagrin (especially during election season).

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Rock Band. No, I'm not kidding. The Wii version would be nice, too, so I can bowl.

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I think that the music and arts festival finally coming to a conclusion and the heat-exhaustion that followed is really etched firmly into my brain.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I'm most proud of my blog and my crafty business and the perseverance associated with it all. This is not something I could've contemplated executing five years ago.

9. What was your biggest failure?
My biggest failure is a double-edged sword for me: I expect a lot from people, especially people who are close to me. This often tumbles into a disastrous state of affairs wherein I'm accused of being too controlling or sensitive, but it also has helped me stick squarely to my values and goals and not let selfish and destructive people get in the way. I would like to take people and things less personally, but I also don't expect that I will stop expecting things from people I love or hold dear. I think those are the ways we define intimacy.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
2007 was all about coughing and breathing. 2008 was all about itching and allergies. I'm finally at at a point, rolling into 2009, where I'm breathing relatively well and not itching, but I'm also more careful about what I put into my body and more careful about the people I keep around it.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
I bought a lot of lovely craft supplies, but my favorite was actually purchased/made for me by Santa...I can't wait to start sewing on my new sewing machine.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My best Bucko is perhaps the bravest, smartest and strongest person I know. She's dealt with some ridiculous crap this year and managed to come out swinging (and cooking me pierogies). I cannot imagine life without her...whether that means we're laughing it up on her futon or she's mystically perched on my shoulder talking me through things I would rather avoid. She's just one of those shining beacons of light that you would be lost without.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The people who were the most disappointing and revolting were the same people who are completely incapable of being valuable in the first place. I just expected too much from them. Specifically, my former "roommate" and a great number of people at a watering hole which shall remain nameless.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Craft supplies. I either need to be a budgetress divine and embrace my renaissance crafting, or I need to commit to quarterly endeavors and smack my own hand when I reach for something that doesn't fit into the quarter's crafty theme.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
oh ginger. And Christmas, as per usual.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Baby Come Back by Hall and Oates. Well, more specifically the version sung by a mariachi band in the Swiffer commercials.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
Just about the same, I say!
b) thinner or fatter?
Just about the same, I say! Maybe slightly less squishy because I haven't been on steroids in a while.
c) richer or poorer?
Just about the same, I say!

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Visitin'. Specifically my family.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Dealing with hooligans.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
I spent Christmas with my darling brother and then with Em's family. The only thing missing were my parents, and they were sorely missed.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Even more and more with Em, for sure.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Jon & Kate Plus 8. We didn't have cable until September, but that is by far the only show I was consistently watched with any sort of dedication. Well, that and Intervention. Clearly I desire to be a Christian alcoholic with a dozen plus children, all nannied by Candy Finnegan.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hate? No. I avoid many people so they do not suck at my soul any longer.

24. What was the best book you read?
This year was the year of romance novels and I do not divulge my favorites. Get invited to dinner at my place and then maybe, after a bottle of wine, I'll tell.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
polka dot dot dot

26. What did you want and get?
Crafts and crafts. I'm particularly enamored with my new Craft Nook Supervisor, Frenchie the owl (the link takes you to her cousins, not a picture of her sadly). Thank you, Pang!

27. What did you want and not get?
I wanted to bake a lot more than I did.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Uh, I don't know. It wasn't a year for memorable movies, apparently.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I spent the weekend with my best Bucko and our families and I turned 29.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Dairy, probably. And no hives.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
I experimented with more color, grew my hair out and bought underpants in an appropriate size. You would not believe how fantastic well fitting underpants makes one feel.

32. What kept you sane?
Em and Bucko, without a doubt.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
RACHEL MADDOW.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Catholics and abortion, mostly. Well, religion and the election. And racism.

35. Who did you miss?
I miss my parents. A lot.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
Lisa! We met last year, I think, but she was without a doubt the most hilarious addition to my box of friends.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
You can't really trust anyone you wouldn't cuddle with on a Saturday afternoon.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"We don't know what's wrong,
We don't know what's gone,
We just know that there's something we can put our little finger on."
-- little finger/Polka Dot Dot Dot

1 comment:

  1. Meaghan! it was so nice meeting you as well! (but gosh, i was such a nerd) i think it's funny that you kept Frenchie, i know she's probably very happy in your craft nook. if you need to me make your goddaughter a special one, i will be glad to help.

    i did try a wet dog (the day after Rock n' Shop), but i wished that i had tried it in the summer time. it was good, but what was i thinking?!?! it definitely is not a drink to help warm you up. but! i hope to try it again with you whenever you visit. Here's to a very happy and prosperous New Year to you, cheers!

    ps - i tend to spend most of my money on craft supplies too. it's like a drug! there should be a craftaholics anonymous somewhere.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails