Monday, January 12, 2009

Decorating the house of cards.

I originally had this posted as a "note" on my Facebook page but I'm feeling fierce today and I kind of feel like this is one really fundamental war-within I have churning right now. And as faith relates to home and life, specifically the life of a woman and a queer person, I feel it's relevant. I don't know why I always provide a justification for what I post when it deviates from biscuity doormats. Here's the damn post, y'all.

----

There are some moments when I sit on my futon, on the eclipse of a quaking-shaking rage, because the things I was indoctrinated to believe as a child of God are so oppositional with what our forefathers saw as valuable and important in this country. It has been so easy and simple and perfectly soul-settling for me to sublimate my institutional Catholic beliefs in order to facilitate the rights of the citizens of this country to live valuable rich lives according to their conscience, including myself. But the people least likely to understand the logic behind and justification for unrestricted reproductive rights for women are wielding a tragic degree of selfishness and putting the lives of countless people on the line for their conscience-driven needs.

I cannot stand in front of a gun before a murderer shoots a bullet and I cannot, in good conscience, stand in between a woman and her right to choose. Maybe that makes me a horrible Catholic, but a perfectly reasonable human. And I don't ever EVER want to do that, despite the fact that it might endear me to God and give me a direct flight to Heaven. I do not believe that it is my responsibility to legislate and/or regulate the choices and beliefs of anyone in this country, which is why I am and will always be 100% pro-choice.

The fact that Catholic bishops are threatening the closure of Catholic hospitals (which make up close to, if not more than, 30% of the nation's health care facilities) if FOCA passes is so righteously heartbreaking for me. Catholic hospitals tend to be in the most needy areas (Providence in NE, for example) and the people that would suffer at the hands of this risky game are the people who have been served by the kindness and generosity of Catholic charity for hundreds of years. To threaten the American people with the prospect of denying healthcare of all kinds simply to prevent women from having access to reproductive healthcare of their choosing seems horribly un-Catholic and detrimental to the well-being of communities nationwide. I'm sure that, in some cases, it might even cause people to die. And as far as the Catholic church is concerned, it is wholly unsurprising. They have behaved this way for centuries.

I understand, so deeply and strongly why any person, including our soon-to-be President, would be motivated to walk into office and assure that all women have access to (without criminal repercussion to her or her physician) the myriad of reproductive health choices modern medical science has created. It is, at a most basic and secular level, the right thing to do. But there are people who have made their own life choices, free from social criticism and judgment**, and continue to live as their conscience dictates. And those same people have made it their life's work to prevent all women, regardless of whether those women share their beliefs, the freedom to live and care for themselves as they choose.

If this is the miracle of life and what our country is to be about, I have completely misunderstood every American history lesson I have been given, including those that I experienced in Catholic school. And it motivates me, even more, to stand in front of the mighty and powerful Catholic church and remind them that they do not have any control of the minds, hearts, souls and ovaries of the women of this country.

Links:
http://www.slate.com/id/2205326/
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:H.R.1964:

** Despite those Catholics who might feel oppressed by our heathenistic society and the "judgments" placed against them in regards to their faith and what it inspires socially and politically, you are all at a political and social advantage. Christianity/Catholicism is the dominant religion in this country and as such it has fueled more political change and restrictiveness than the pro-choice agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails