Tuesday, January 20, 2009

VEGAN Mac & Cheese

Holy Cow. I haven't had mac & cheese, in any form, since last May. I kind of expected that I would go as long as possible without having anything fake-cheese oriented, and then perhaps reach some sort of limit and strangle my allergist until he said I could eat dairy again. I was pretty convinced that I couldn't move past the concept of "soy cheese" to ever consider the possibility that it tasted edible...let alone good. But recently soy products have become less of a gross necessity and more of a decently-flavored accompaniment to food. Soy milk has even lost it's distinctive soy flavor. Crazy...but true.

So my darling, DARLING Em set out to recreate mac & cheese, Em style. And I was very, extremely, pleasantly surprised. Here is the recipe for the Em Style Faux Mac & Cheese. Delish!

3 tablespoons unsalted margarine or butter substitute (Fleischmann's Unsalted Margarine is dairy free, and that's what we used)
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups plain soy milk
10 oz block of Vegan Gourmet Cheddar alternative, grated

1 lb. elbow macaroni, cooked
1/3 cup bread crumbs

Melt the margarine in a medium sauce pan, add the flour and stir flour well. Let cook for 2 minutes. Add the milk and whisk for a few minutes. Turn the pan to medium and let the milk slowly start to bubble, stirring occasionally. Once the sauce has thickened, slowly whisk in the grated 'cheese'. Continue to whisk until all the 'cheese' is melted.

Cook the macaroni and drain. In a 9x13 pan place a large spoonful of the sauce on the bottom. Add the macaroni to the pan and stir in the rest of the sauce. Stir until all mixed in. Top with a light layer of the bread crumbs.

Bake at 350 degress for 40-45 minutes.

Thank you to Em for always cooking for me and working around my pesky allergies. I'm so lucky.

1 comment:

  1. you are lucky!!!
    and so is em.

    congrats on the treasury.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails