Saturday, February 21, 2009

In which I finally get back to my roots...

My mom gave me a sewing machine for Christmas. I had so many great intentions of using it between then and now, but I haven't had the time. Also, when I was younger and learning how to sew, I had the hardest time threading the damn machine. My confidence issues were definitely a hurdle to leap over as well. She's purty.


So last night I stocked up on a few essentials and set to work. I dismantled some boxer shorts Em had picked up because they had awesome nautical designs on them (Em loves nautical stuff). I managed to keep most of the fabric; I removed the elastic waistbands, seams and little notches of fabric that I knew I couldn't use. The fabric was neatly folded and ready for the morning.

This morning I carefully cut 3.5" squares in each of the designs. I laid them out in a pattern that was simple yet pleasing to what I considered to be Em's aesthetic.


Then, I carefully sewed the squares together, ironed the seams flat, and sewed more squares together. I had some navy blue fine-wale corduroy in my sewing stash, so I cut 1.5" strips to create a border for my quick-quilted design. I used a large piece of the corduroy for the back. I sewed the entire pillow together, stuffed it with poly-fill and sewed it shut! I am SO PROUD of my final creation.

I know that nautical/quilted stuff isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I know Em will LOVE it sitting over in the Em Nook of the apartment, and I am so glad that sewing came back to me quickly and instinctively. I imagine this will be a beautiful relationship!

The best part: When I called my Mom and asked what she thought, she said it was beautiful and that my Nanny (my Mom's mother; part of the crafty ancestry) was smiling down from Heaven with pride. And honestly, that makes it all worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm highly impressed with your sewing skills. Good job.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails