Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Blumen: A personal favorite

When I wrote my Vintage Friday post last week, I had the hardest time remembering one of my favorite flowers. My Googling was fruitless, so I just had to believe that it would come to me at an unexpected moment and I would have to continue to pay attention. Sunday night, as we were wandering through the grocery store, I made my usual stop-and-stare in the floral department (this one is generally spectacular). Their selection was shockingly lackluster but they DID have the flower I couldn't seem to remember from Friday...RANUNCULUS!

Tecolote Ranunculus, or Persian buttercup, is a lovely, petal-dense flower closely related to the plain ol' buttercup, but in many ways it looks like a "rural rose"...smooth, deep color but with a ruffley, natural exterior. I don't remember when I discovered this flower. I worked at a flower shop my freshman year of college, but I don't think that Nancy, the owner, used it often. The stems are sometimes irritating to human skin, so that might've been a reason. But somewhere, somehow along my travels I stumbled across it and fell in love. There is a definite amount of whimsy and organic grace to the way each stem looks; the multitude of shoots that grow from the primary stem often sprout tiny bulblettes (my word!), which give a single stem or bouquet of Ranunculus a wildflower look.

In my quest to find a beautiful photograph of Ranunculus for you, I stumbled across Etsy seller Kari Herer. She has a beautiful series of prints from Paris which include the photo I've featured in this post, Paris Market no. 3454 - 16 x 20 ($98, but there are smaller versions). The hazy, color-rich beauty of this series reminds me of wandering through my own European city, Basel (Switzerland) and stopping outside an old world flower shop. Naturally, they are also a welcome addition to any vessel of your choosing, near a sunny window on a warm Spring day.

1 comment:

  1. I love these! I'm gonna call them Persian Buttercups from now on. Infact I'm going to call everything persian buttercups ... :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails