Monday, March 2, 2009

Work it: New features and futures.

Queering Domesticity has a new look, and a bit of a new attitude!

I wanted to redesign my blog, or at least bring it up a notch, to more closely match the aesthetic I'm growing into as well as what other bloggers are doing out there. As you can see, I've converted from a two column Minima-stretch layout to a Minima Three Column layout courtesy of the incredibly awesome tutorials provided by Tips for New Bloggers (via How about orange...). I also added my own little search function, complete with its own graphic-button, which allows you to search my posts and render the results in my blog's layout. Finally, I added a mailing list feature which will allow you to receive news and updates about QD as well as oh ginger, my Etsy shop, and anything relevant to the two combined.**

Two new features which I am particularly excited about are the Blog O' The Week and Shop O' The Week in the right hand column of QD. Every Monday I will feature a blog I read regularly or recently discovered that fits within the concept of QD; blogs will focus on cooking/baking, crafts, arts, design, DIY and possibly politics/religion as the opportunities present. Additionally, I'll be featuring both Etsy shops and independent businesses as shops of the week. I hope that this will help promote my neighbors in the crafting, indie business and blogging communities. As I continue to teach myself more about blogging (with Blogger and in general), I hope to continue to expand the usability of QD and provide my readers with an asssortment of interactive features.

The icing on the cake is two milestones which will most likely coincide within a month or so. By the end of March, I will have shared 200 posts with what looks a total visitor count of 10,000. There are blogs out there who have tens of thousands of hits a day, but I'm just so proud that I've managed to generate that amount of interest, as well as stay interested in writing and sharing! To celebrate this momentous occasion, I'm coordinating a celebratory GIVEAWAY for one lucky winner! I've put out an APB to the far reaches of crafty land and asked friends and acquaintences to donate fantastic items for one lucky reader to win. This giveaway will be posted here at QD on APRIL 1st and the winner will be announced on April 15th...my special treat to you on the U.S.'s Income Tax Day. More details to come!

If you're interested in donating an item to the giveaway, please contact me!



-----
** My mailing list will be delivered to your e-mail box once a month. I won't sell your information to anyone. Pinky swear.

1 comment:

  1. the new site looks great! congrats!!!!! -brooke

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails