Friday, March 20, 2009

Product Review: SodaStream Home Soda Maker

A few weeks ago, I posted about a product I used in Switzerland and expressed my excitement that they were distributing in the States. I think one of the most exciting things that could happen to a blogger is to have an opportunity to review something about which you are particularly fascinated. In this case, my excitement was so convincing that SodaStream contacted me and asked me to do a review of the SodaStream system!

I received my SodaStream Wednesday afternoon and Em can attest that when I saw the box in front of the door, I did a little jig and screeched with excitement. I brought the box inside and immediately ripped it open, pulling out what seemed like an endless array of products and accessories. When I finally had everything out and on the table, I realized how truly excited I was and I was also 100% sure that this was going to be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

Once the box was opened and the CO2 installed, I knew that this wasn't going to be much different than the experience I had using SodaClub (their European company name) in Swizterland. I rinsed the BPA-free, recyclable and toxin-free bottle (yes!) and filled it with cold water. You simply screw the bottle into the machine and depress the CO2 releasing button three times, until you hear a loud "thrrrrrblt!", pull the bottle towards you to release the CO2 connection and unscrew it. TA-DA! Now you have delicious, bubbly water without leaving your house.

The fizz in a SodaStream glass of carbonated water is really unmatched. It is fresh, which might sound strange, but sometimes bottled carbonated water tastes flat, metallic or just stale. The bubbles and effervescence in a glass of SodaStream water are big and energetic, and when you take a sip it is legitimately refreshing. You can control the intensity by doing fewer pumps, but I'm fond of the recommended three. I've included a short video here so you can see the awesome fizz!

video

I was also fortunate enough to have the opportunity to test nine different soda syrups that you can add to your water after it has been carbonated. SodaStream sells a vast variety of regular and diet syrups (over 25 different kinds), with flavorings including: cola, cranberry raspberry, orange, rootbeer, ginger ale, lemon/lime, energy drink and even tonic water! Em tried orange and I tried cola. We were both pleased with the flavor and the quality, and the fact that the amount of waste is significantly limited, and I can make a soda when I desire versus having to visit the grocery store, makes the deal even sweeter!

I just checked the website to see what a start-up system will run the average consumer, and for $99.99 (they're having a $20 off sale, which basically equates to free s/h) you'll receive a Fountain Jet Home Soda Maker, two 60-liter carbonators, and two bottles. I estimate that one carbonator will last approximately one month (two liters per day), which means that in two months I'll need to mail in my carbonators to be refilled. This will cost $24.50 every two months, or $12.50/month. If you spent $1 day on soda or bottled water, imagine how quickly SodaStream will pay for itself!

I've talked to quite a few friends about the SodaStream system, and I think that I'm well on my way to becoming a SodaStreamevangelist. The limited environmental impact, the cost-cutting opportunities, the opportunity to consume without supporting a huge conglomerate and the instant gratification of water or soda whenever you want it are all reasons why I love the SodaStream system. Still unsure? Come on over to my place and I'll pour a glass for you. You'll leave refreshed and convinced!



6 comments:

  1. Our friend in New Zealand had one of these. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing; I love fizzy water! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is super fun and I'm jealous that you're getting freeee stuff! I hope you still have the fun machine and ingredients next weekend - I love me a bubbly drink!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Pikes share your passion of the soda mchine too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. bull....! the costs of the carbonators when you can get them are too high! Okay product, but Poorly run company.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to get one myself! =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails