Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Recipe Tuesday: Bundt to the Future

I have a confession, people. Yes, I like to lick the batter out of the bowl I just used to make brownies, raw eggs 'n' all. Yes, I sing in the shower. Yes, I line up my french fries according to size. And YES, I'm sick of cupcakes.

I can't help it...they're just so overdone. Everywhere I turn there are blogs, photo streams, bakeries and even cookbooks dedicated to CUPCAKES. They are tiny cakes, they're cute, they're portion control without the work, and they're relatively easy to make. But the obsession is over the friggin top, folks.** And I'm here to tell you what's next. I might not be able to predict fashion trends, or lotto numbers or even what I plan on wearing tomorrow...but I'm telling you:

BUNDT CAKES ARE THE NEW CUPCAKES!

The widely-known Bundt pan, made of aluminum, was patented in Minnesota by H. David Dalquist of Nordic Ware for folks who were interested in replicating a traditional German coffee cake called a bundkuchen (or Gugelhopf/Kugelhopf). Traditionally, pans of the same shape with similar flutes and grooves were made of cast iron or ceramic, but the aluminum variety sped up the production process and kept costs down. The Bundt pan sold slowly until 1966, when a Bundt cake won second place in a Pillsbury Bake Off competition. Since then, Nordic Ware has produced over 50 styles of Bundt cake pans and even have pans in the Smithsonian.

Bundts are an integral part of American nostalgia, but I'm confident they can make a smooth transition into hip and modern fad quite easily. For example, Bakerella posted a Bundt cake recipe yesterday, which looked amazing...chocolate and matcha! There's a chain of Bundt cake shops (corporate and franchised), called Nothing Bundt Cakes, in the southwest. There's the famously hilarious scene in My Big Fat Greek Wedding wherein Toula's mother wonders why there's a hole in the "bunk cake", and promptly deposits a plant in the center. We [should] celebrate National Bundt Cake Day every year on November 15th. Williams & Sonoma has a very lovely and traditional Bundt cake pan available (shameless edorsement; I love W & S). And then there's always the memory of my family gathering on Christmas morning and taking slice (after slice after slice) of my mom's scrumptious Sour Cream Coffee Cake, which I am sharing with you today.

Sour Cream Coffee Cake
(This is transcribed directly from my mom's recipe, which was listed according to step versus in the traditional recipe format, so take that into consideration when shopping for your ingredients.)

Cream: 1 c. butter and 2 c. sugar

Add: 2 eggs; 1 tsp vanilla; 1 c. sour cream

Add: 2 c. sifted flour; 1 tsp baking powder; ¼ tsp salt

Separately mix: 1 c. chopped pecans, 4 tbls brown sugar; 1 tsp cinnamon for the filling mixture

Grease and flour 10” Bundt pan.

Pour half of batter into pan, make a well, pour ¾ of the filling mixture, top with remaining batter. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon/nut mixture on top.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes.

ALL HAIL THE BUNDT!

** I refuse to give up my obsession with cupcake liners. Sorry folks, I have limits.

ETA: OMG, apparently I'm riding the coattails of Publisher's Weekly with my clairvoyant assertion that cupcakes are so OUT. The world is wacky today, and I'm either hip or I read the news online when I really think I'm sleeping.

1 comment:

  1. i heart Bakerella! anyway, can i haz dis cake in da mail?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails