Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Recipe Tuesday: Last Second Lemon

I had to make a quick dessert for my father-"in law" on Saturday and after obsessing over a million recipes I've never tried, I decided to do something simple and quick. My mom and I have a secret - it's called Duncan Hines. In a pinch, I will use a Duncan Hines cake mix in lieu of making my own cake batter. The flavor is delicious, the cake moist and most varieties are also dairy free. It makes my life a lot easier, that's for sure.

Em picked up a bunch of delicious strawberries, blueberries and raspberries from the store and I rinsed the strawberries, sliced them and sprinkled a couple tablespoons of plain ol' sugar on top to get the juices flowing. I didn't rinse the blueberries or raspberries until I was ready to serve the cake because they tend to get mushy.

I modified the standard Duncan Hines yellow cake mix as follows. Just bake it up in a Bundt pan or your pan of choice.

1 Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (about one lemon)
zest of one lemon
1 cup of water
1/3 cup of canola oil (or applesauce)
3 eggs

Let it cool and place it on your cake plate. Then prepare the following glaze to drizzle on top:

2 cups powdered sugar
juice of one lemon
zest of one lemon

Drizzle the glaze! When you're ready to serve, find the prettiest plate in your kitchen, cut a decently sized slice of glazed cake and serve with a heaping spoonful of berries.

Absolutely scrumptious! How's that for last minute?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails