Friday, March 13, 2009

Vintage Friday: Cake cake cake!

Oh, silly. Not vintage cake...that would be, well, disgusting. And a health hazard, and I sure as hell don't have insurance here and I'm not interested in dealing with with any consumer activists. What I'm featuring today are amazing, unique and delightfully vintage cake accessories!

Some of my fondest memories revolve around cake. When I was a baby, or before I was born (I can't remember!), my mom took a Wilton cake decorating class at a department store. She then spent the next 20 years of her life honing her cake decorating skills through various endeavors for my brother and me (Girl Scout events, birthday parties, etc.). When I was three or four, she baked and decorated the most AMAZING Wonder Woman cake. My first birthday, she made two Raggedy Ann cakes. One was for the guests and one was for me. As you can see, it was amazing.

When I decided to create this post, I couldn't help but get nostalgic about cake. I hope you enjoy what I've discovered!

Vintage Aluminum Cake Keeper - $8.75
I love the rich warmth of the wood knob at the top of this wonderfully maintained cake keeper, but if you were doing a themed event, I bet you could unscrew it and add a knob of your choice! Perhaps a vintage glass doorknob? The possibilities are endless!

Vintage 60s Dancing Cake Toppers - $15
I have to admit that I have a special "thing" for little figurines like this. I collect elves, which I pull out at Christmas. But in general, if they're funny and not too tasteless, I like them. I hope I'm not turning into a crazy old lady with an unending collection of figurines in my future. Nevertheless, host a Back to the Future party and put these on top of a glittery cake...remember the dance scene with his mom and dad? Yes, do it.

Use this lovely decorative cake stand for cupcakes, cake or even a delectable pie! Dress it up with a colorful napkin or doily, or even curly ribbon. I feel that a cake stand like this is a must have for any cake-baker.

Sometimes it's not the safest idea for kids to help with cooking and baking endeavors...what with the raw eggs and all. When I was a little kid, my mom brought over her old mini-baking set from my grandma's house and when she was baking up a storm, I baked up an imagined storm with my mini-cake pans. These things are invaluable, really.

My mom used a Wonder Woman cake topper on my cake, if I recall. I think plastic faces and embellishments are so classically 80s. Do it up!

These could be cleaned up, lacquered and used as really adorable nut or candy bowls. They could also be incorporated into wall art with other vintage utensils like manual beaters and whisks. The possibilities are certainly endless and these are a great deal.

This is gorgeous! It could be a display piece on a shelf or somewhere in your kitchen, or it could be cleaned up and made functional. Either way, is it not the most beautiful thing ever!?

Sugar and Meringue has a fantastic assortment of vintage cake food-products and ephemera. I really look forward to updates to their shop. There is so much potential for multi-media art projects with their stock.

2 comments:

  1. I have some of those itty bitty "vintage cake molds" (except they aren't vintage). I used them to make little tart shells! Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the pic of you and your cake! adorable! hope all is well with you.
    love aims in oz

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails