Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Interlude: Everybody needs to know

When I told my friend this morning that I fell in love with a new band after hearing one of their songs on So You Think You Can Dance, he groaned. Right, I get it - not the hippest place to find new music, but what am I supposed to do? I don't work at Borders anymore; I don't get to see all the hot new stuff as they're stacking it on the shelves. I'm behind the curve, man!

Nevertheless, I found an awesome band called Elizabeth & The Catapult. Wouldn't you know that I JUST missed them at the Red & the Black downtown? Figures. They're coming to the Barns at Wolf Trap at the end of the month, but I think I'm getting a little old for live music. Unless I have some young stud flirtin' with me to, I dunno, travel to Baltimore and see the sexiest band alive play (on November 20th - mark your calendars!), I'm not usually moved by live music anymore. What is wrong with me...

After I downloaded Elizabeth & The Catapult's cover of Leonard Cohen's "Everybody Knows", I let iTunes tell me what I might like. The first suggestion was Roseanne Cash's new album The List, which hit stores on Tuesday. I heard about this a while ago, but didn't really pay attention. As it turns out, The List is a compilation of Johnny Cash's favorite old country songs sung by his beloved daughter Roseanne (whose voice is like churned butter, I swear to God) with a few cameos by the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello and even Neko Case. HOT DAMN. I downloaded one song ("Heartaches by the Number" with Mr. Costello, of course), so I could ease into the awesomeness without overwhelming myself with the longing that I might experience if I charged through the album too quickly. Johnny Cash is about as close as I can get these days to hanging out with my long gone Pop Pop - his sound and essence are far too similar to the Man in Black.

Here I give you "Everybody Knows" (live) by Elizabeth & The Catapult and I encourage you to pick up both of these superb albums. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails