Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Maisie Maud Broadhead


Though I appreciate fine art in ways I can barely articulate, sometimes it doesn't always speak to me. I'm sure it's a combination of lack of education and the attention span of a gnat. And like dancing and music, I'm drawn to things I would never expect - like contemporary and that weird hipster acoustic lady singing that's so popular these days. I digress!

Maisie Maud Broadhead (god, I want to hug the person who named her) is an artist based in England (and a recent graduate of the RCA) with what I interpret to be a VERY strong affinity for all things domestic. My dearest of the dear friend Megan shared her collection entitled jewellery depicted with me this evening, but I must say that every work and collection she's created during her tenure as an artist is jaw-droppingly phenomenal. Her photographic reinterpretations of art, specifically the Vermeer piece and the "nipple pinch" restaging of Gabrielle d'Estrées in her jewellery depicted collection, are stunning. The brooch I've included above is incredibly profound - so often we enlarge the stone to show status or refinement, but in this case the setting is excessively elongated (perhaps it's phallic? Perhaps a representation of how jewelry is used as a patriarchal tagging device? I don't know!) My absolute favorites, though? domestic jewellery and gestures, which is a collection of cast silver pieces inspired by the hand formations found in the book Speak Italian : the fine art of the gesture by Bruno Munari.

All of her collections are worth a gander and I look forward to see how her work evolves to include more innovative representations of fine art and the simple, practical accessories of daily life.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails