Thursday, November 12, 2009

Fabulous fiber with misshawklet

[This is one post in a series of twelve posts designed to feature a wildly creative and exciting group of crafters and artisans. Please take a moment to visit the shop featured in this post and all the shops featured on the left and right hand sidebars of my blog. You'll have the opportunity to learn about two fabulous shops a week - just in time to get all of your holiday shopping done. Enjoy!]

A few years ago, when I was first crawling into the craft world, I somehow met a fine lady on LiveJournal who seemed to share quite a bit in common with me. It just so happened that our meeting coincided with my renewed interest in crocheting and knitting, rendering me completely incapable of controlling my wallet around her shop. I stitched up whatever I could with my meager skills...a scarf here, a neckwarmer there. What amazed me the most was how lovely and perfect the yarn translated into my haphazard and inconsistent knitting. Since that day, I have remained steadfastly committed to supporting misshawklet (and Holly, the shop owner) ever since. She is an inspirational artist, crafter and person in general. Let me tell you why.

As far as misshawklet is concerned, every fibrous inch of what Holly sells is eco-friendly, organic if possible, and filled with personality and color. According to Holly, she purchases "farm or what I call 'animal friendly' wool and mohair from a small rescue farm in Wisconsin, where I know the sheep are spoiled rotten!" Whether she's spun up a single ply batch in a soft and demure colorway, or twisted a festive and varied "scraptacular" skein together, misshawklet yarns are inspirational. Soft as can be, saturated in color, and smooth on the needle - what more could a novice or expert knitter as for?! misshawklet also sells, from time to time, a variety of supplies and doo-dads, hand-stitched coptic bound journals, and even roving for folks who like to spin themselves. While I am not as well-versed in yarn lingo as I'd like to be, I can tell you that when I receive a skein of misshawklet yarn in the mail, I can't help but press it gently to my cheek and nuzzle in its warmth and fuzziness. Perhaps this sounds strange to you, but have you ever had a misshawklet skein in your hands? You should!

After a recent show at Stitches East, misshawklet's stock is a bit depleted but FEAR NOT! She will be adding stock soon enough, and you can always browse her sold items to get an idea of what she will have available in the near future. Keep up to date with the shop's goings-on on her blog or on Facebook. You can also get a taste of the full expanse of Holly's life up on her little Nashua, NH homestead, which she's turned a house into a home and a blank-slate of a yard into a garden. The fruits and vegetables collected from her garden are incredible, and her commitment to sustainable living, inspirational. Sometimes I imagine swinging on a hammock in her backyard, listening to the birds tweet and noshing on some of her gorgeous heirloom tomatoes. As someone who likes to buy high quality, ecofriendly yarns now and again, I am never disappointed with misshawklet's stock. Inspired by nature and designed to support it, misshawklet is THE place to shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails